Sunday, March 1, 2009

Traveling bug

After seeing Mark's pictures of Thailand online, I can't stop thinking about traveling and getting out of here. The plan is to go to Japan in November - hopefully get to see Gerard whlie I'm there - and spend some time checking out the sights not most commonly seen by tourists. Eric is planning to go as well, and if I'm lucky, maybe we can talk a few more people into going as well. I'd really like to learn a new language, but wow is Rosetta Stone expensive. Portugese would be fun to learn, but since I'm planning the Japan trip, I should probably sign myself up to learn some Japanese.

Eric has really wanted to travel to places where he can feel like he's in a new world, but under real circumstances. Less luxury travel, more real-world and authentic. Be around the locals, see the sights most tourists don't go to. I would even say borderline povery areas. Me? I want the authetic experience too, but I also want to experience it underwater while scuba diving. I'd like to do some history research, then go seek out the most historically significant places. In the mean time, I'm hoping to learn about the curent culture too. I wouldn't turn down the chance to do something off beat, but I'm too much of a planner to show up in a country without an idea of things I want to see. Maybe I can train myself not to plan by November :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment